Episode 30 – Design goes BIG and Snapchat is Blatantly Ripped Off, Again…
This week, our hosts Matt and Min return to discuss how design is going big and a tad retro in recent trends. Also, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but it’s getting a little old for Snapchat as they’re blatantly ripped off once again. Tune in every Monday for the latest in technology, marketing, and design from the point of view of digital natives!
- Last Week in Review [0:45]
- Design Goes BIG [4:35]
- Snapchat is Blatantly Ripped Off, Again… [12:15]
Last Week in Review
To kick things off, Matt and Min have a bit of a casual discussion about some of the major happenings of the last week ranging from major movie releases accompanied by virtual reality to Amazon’s newest piece of technology that helps you pick out your outfit!
- “Beauty and The Beast also released in virtual reality for the Oculus Rift.” -Matt
- “If you’re an Amazon Prime member, you can take a picture of your outfit and send it into Amazon to review and help you choose your outfit.” -Matt
Design Goes BIG
Recent trends in design seem like they’re stretching back to what was common in the 90s, with vibrant colors and big letterhead. Min pauses for a moment to review those trends and discusses what else you should be looking for in the coming months.
- “Brutalism is the huge fonts, neon colors, and super in-your-face style and it’s trending right now.” -Min
- “The lack of concern in brutalism is almost a little too much especially because everything is so mobile focused right now.” -Min
- “There’s a new CSS grid that’s going to simplify responsive designs and make them feel even more native than they do now. -Min
- “Yeah, you want your site to load fast but you need it to look good still.” -Min
Snapchat is Blatantly Ripped Off, Again…
Over the past two weeks, there have been some major developments in social scheduling platforms and the ongoing battle to be the ultimate social platform. Matt dives into the latest theft of Snapchat’s “Stories” feature and how it might affect the market.
- “Facebook released a new feature for Messenger which is a blatant clone of Snapchat’s Stories.” -Matt
- “There’s also a new tool coming out that will allow you to schedule live stories on Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook.” -Matt
- “The whole appeal of ‘Stories’ on Snapchat is the fact they’re live. As soon as you start scheduling those you lose a lot of the appeal of the platform.” -Matt