How to Create a Compelling Video Case Study
Case studies are a vital part of your content marketing strategy. They provide buyers with the information they need to determine whether your product or service matches their needs. When future clients review case studies, they are likely already aware of their options. They simply need one strong motivator to seal the deal. The qualitative and quantitative data included in your case study will act as a strong motivator that will turn leads into sales.
In short, case studies tell a story to sell a product. One of the most impactful ways to tell a compelling story is through video. It allows audiences to literally see themselves reflected on-screen. What better way to sell satisfaction than from the mouth of a happy client? Not to mention, video content is proven to boost conversions and sales, build brand trust, rank higher in Google searches, and encourage shares.
How to create a case study video:
- Start with clear, specific goals. Ensure success by setting clear, achievable goals that align with your overall business goals. The more specific your goals, the better your chances are to convert leads and close sales.
- Name your target audience. Case studies are meant to target a specific audience and their pain points. Do not try to appeal to just any client – appeal to the client whose problems you can solve.
- Identify the problem, your solution, and your message. Stories introduce and explore a conflict and then provide a resolution. What is your target audience’s biggest problem and how can you solve it? The answer will be the focus of your case study: it will guide the story and your interview questions.
- Determine the right client and invite them to participate. To decide on the best client, first consider your target audience and who would give the most compelling interviews. For B2B, will this client be a small company or an established corporate client? As a general rule, the closer your chosen client is to your target audience, the better. When preparing your client, it’s important to alleviate any concerns they may have in advance. Not only is this courteous, but it will make them more likely to participate.
- Construct your story with the right questions. Remember, great case studies are great stories. You will need to have an informal discussion with your client before the interview process to go over their history. From there, you will craft your story from the client’s background, the problem they experienced, and the resolution your product or service provided. Take the time to write thought-provoking, open-ended questions. You want your client to reveal the story and message of the case study through their responses.
- Present your call to action. Once you deliver your message, provide a call to action at the end. The call to action is one of the most important elements of your case study as it motivates clients to connect with your business. Not only do future clients depend on the CTA to take the next steps, but most expect it. Make this part of the buyer’s journey simple by giving them explicit instructions on how to proceed.
- Establish a visual style. Support the story you’re telling and the brands you’re representing by using the right colors, editing style, music, and b-roll. Video is a visual medium which means every part of the viewing experience impacts the overall message. Good production value signals to your audience that you take pride in your clients and their story.
- Share your case study. Upload your case study to the appropriate channels, according to your overall content marketing strategy. (Not sure how to develop a content marketing strategy? Find out here.) You might also consider using the video on your website, for video marketing, or during sales presentations.
That was a lot of information! Let’s take a moment to review. When prospective clients view case studies, they typically already know their options and are looking for the best product or service for their situation. By taking the time to carefully plan your video case study, you can ensure that your message will connect with your target audience and turn those leads into sales.
Producing video content can be intimidating. From setting goals and objectives to finding the right subject and interview questions to planning and editing the shots Don’t forget the importance of great video production! The quality of your video case study directly impacts the quality of your message.
With this list, you have insight into the value of adding an inspiring and impactful video case study to your content marketing strategy. If you are interested in adding video to your content marketing strategy but are unsure where to begin, let us know how we can help! You can find more about our video production services here.