Stripe and PayPal are the most popular credit card processing companies for Ecommerce because they provide business owners an all in one package when it comes to processing credit card transactions. Back in the day, Ecommerce businesses would need multiple services to process a credit card transaction. Now Stripe and PayPal have solved that headache, but which method of payment is better?
Stripe is the new kid on the block when it comes to credit card processing. Founded in 2011, the company has grown quickly to become a force to be reckoned with. The company is gaining popularity among all businesses, but primarily in the Ecommerce industry. They offer customizable friendly cart options and a competitive fee structure.
PayPal is the king of online transactions. PayPal became a popular name among Ecommerce companies, from their use on eBay. PayPal offers a wide variety of services for businesses in a tiered level format. While being one of the biggest of credit card processing companies, they still maintain competitive fee structures.
- 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction with
- Discounts starting at $80,000 a month in sales.
- No other fees are associated with the service, and there are no refund costs
- There are no additional charges for international sales
- Superior customer service availability
- Developer friendly carts with no additional charge
- Credit card information is transferred directly to Stripe servers with no other points of contact
- Funds can take up to 48 hours to be deposited in the business bank account
- US 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction
- International 3.9% + per transaction fee based on location
- Funds from that day's transactions are deposited into a company bank account within 24 hours
- Proven company that has been around for over 10 years
- Additional $30/month charge to have check out cart on website
- There are refund fees
- Your secure information must pass through both that businesses servers and PayPal's servers
What should you pick?
Stripe is the recommended service for an all in one credit card processing platform for Ecommerce businesses. The free customizable cart on the business website really sets Stripe apart from PayPal. The free option on PayPal is to leave the business website and finish the transaction on PayPal’s website. Ecommerce businesses are aware that the less work customers have to do, the odds are better that they will buy a product.
The developer friendly carts and more strict security are big reasons why an agency like ourselves would choose Stripe. PayPal is still a proven option, but right now Stripe is more innovative and caters to our needs while maintaining a competitive price point for their services.